You can change your UMS username using the the UMS Account/Username rename tool. There are several options available:
- A username based on your full real name.
- A username based on a portion of your real name.
- A username not based on your real name.
- A custom username based on portions of your real name.
- A username based on your preferred name.
What effect does the username change have on current access?
Systems react differently to username changes. Some are updated automatically while others have to be manually adjusted. Here is some information about systems that are used by many people:
- UMS Gmail.
- All your email is preserved and shows up in the mailbox under the new username.
- Mail addressed to your former email address will by forwarded to your new address for 6 months.
- All data in Mainestreet is associated with your new username.
- All BrightSpace course enrollments and course material is associated with your new username. This process may take up to 4 hours.
- MyCampus portal.
- MyCampus will give you the same view and access after the rename as before.
Other systems may require manual adjustment to continue to work.
Have you changed your legal name?
If you are changing your username because you have recently changed your name, you have to have your name changed first in Mainestreet before your new name can be used to change your username. If you are an employee, contact your local HR office. If you are a student, contact your campus Registrar or Office of Student Records.
Using preferred names.
A "preferred name" is a name - or part of your name - that you are known by but is not your legal name. Examples would be a nickname that you are widely known by in preference to your real name, or using your middle name as your first name. Sometimes a last name is retained as a professional identity even if it is changed with marital status.
Students may enter a preferred name in Mainestreet (look for the Names link in the Student Center). Some employees (notably faculty) can set a preferred name in Campus Solutions as well, but please note that preferred names set in Campus Solutions will not be used for employees.
Employees may request a preferred name be set for them by contacting their local HR office.
Change Your Username
If after reviewing the notes you'd still like to change your UMS username, proceed to the UMS Account/Username rename tool. Please note that changing your UMS username is not a reversible process!